Monday, October 22, 2012

The scariest job I've ever had.

Last night Jason and I were talking about scary movies. We talked about the different types of scary movies. One of which is the cheesy kind. The movie you watch, and you can't feel scared because you're laughing through the whole thing.
I recently watched an episode on "The twilight zone" that reminded me of something that happened while working at one my jobs. I had some experiences there that were scary, but as the scenes play back in my mind, I'm reminded of a cheesy movie.

Because it's almost Halloween, here is my own personal ghost story.
(I don't have any pictures, but it's probably a good thing!)

My older sister married a mortician. His dad owns a mortuary. When they first got married, they lived upstairs IN the mortuary. That's not scary, right?
(My sister has her own set of ghost stories.)

A few years ago, while Jason was on his mission, I moved back home and needed a job. My brother in law's Father offered me a job as a weekend receptionist at the mortuary. I accepted the job. Then I politely laughed through all the jokes I got from friends (and Jason) that it was going to be a dead beat job. (That joke is only funny five times, right?) 

I actually enjoyed my job a lot. I mainly answered phones, typed up obituaries, made funeral programs, entered bills into quickbooks, and did random office work. Occasionally I was asked to be an usher for funerals. One particular funeral director asked me a few times to help him move bodies. (That was NOT in my job description) That wasn't nearly as fun for him when I did it without reacting. (What can I say? I'm tough!)

One Saturday, after I had worked there for about a year, it was just me and one funeral director in there. She had one body she was embalming, but she spent some time in the office and we were chatting.
All of the sudden some phone books flew out of the cupboard. (notice, I didn't say fall) They ended up half way across the room. It scared us both enough that we screamed. Then we laughed a little bit, because what else can you do?

She went back to the embalming room, but came back 20 minutes later and asked me if I had been trying to talk to her. Nope! She had been hearing somebody say, "hello" a few times. That kind of made us both shiver a little bit because we were the only two people in the building.

Awhile later, she told me she was going to go pick up some lunch, but would be back. So now I was all alone. The phone rang, and the caller ID said, 000-000-0000. I answered it, and I heard a really weird sounding voice say, "I get to talk to you now! I get to talk to you now!" Uhh... I wasn't sure what I was supposed to say. So I just said, "Hello?" and they repeated, "I get to talk to you now." I could kind of hear what sounded like a phone operator voice in the background, but the weird voice was over powering it. I admit I was *kind of* scared, and hung up the phone really fast.

They have a really sweet lady who comes and cleans for them on Saturdays. I heard her come in, and was so relieved to not be the only person there! I didn't tell her anything that happened, we just chatted for a few minutes and she started cleaning.
About 20 minutes later she came up to me and said, "The craziest thing just happened!" My first thought was, "I bet it did!" She always kicks her shoes off and leaves them by the wall while she cleans. She told me that when she walked past her shoes they were lined up with the heels against the wall. Her heart skipped a beat, because there was no way she did that, and I was the only other person in the building. I told her everything else that had happened and she started getting excited, because apparently she loves that kind of stuff. (ha!)

The funeral director came back from lunch I told her about the phone call and shoes, and she had to force herself back to the embalming room.  Somehow we all survived the rest of the day despite everything that happened.

The next Saturday I was working with a different funeral director, and I told him everything that happened. Then the phone rang, and it said 000-000-0000. I freaked out and made him answer it. (I guess I'm not so tough.) Nobody was on the other end, so he hung up. He decided to do a reverse dial, or whatever it's called, where you call back the number that called you. It didn't ring, it didn't give us a busy signal, it didn't do anything. The line was completely dead. That was scary.
After that, I never got a phone call from that number again, and nothing extra strange ever happened while I was there.

If somebody asks me if I believe in ghosts, I always say, "yes!"

4 comments:

Jake ♥ Kenzie said...

Reading that gave me the chills. Freaky! I could NEVER work at a mortuary! I really admire what morticians & funeral directors do and I have a lot of respect for them, but I could never be that tough.

Jason and Jody said...

Haha! So I never once felt scared working there until that particular day, and I never really felt scared after it all happened. I think that's what made it extra scary!

Jessica said...

Kind of reminds me of the pictures eyes following us around at your house. I know it is silly but that was crazy/scary fun!!!

Anderson's said...

oh that's creepy! I've only been in a funeral home once, and it was nice, but I am always a little creeped out by dead bodies, just not enough exposure I guess. You have a thick skin. Thanks for the scare before Halloween.