Thursday, July 1, 2010

RSV... in June!

Last week Jason and I went to his parents house in la Sal to get Jason's truck ready to drive up here. The day we left, I noticed Brooklyn had a pretty runny nose, and on the drive home she started coughing a little bit, but I didn't think anything of it. The next day, we went up to Bear Lake to spend time up at my brother's cabin for the weekend. She was REALLY grumpy the whole weekend, and cried a ton, which isn't like her. Her chest started sounding congested, but I still didn't think anything of it.
My brother hired Jason to do some work on his cabin, so we had a plan to go up Tuesday and stay up there until Thursday. Tuesday I noticed her cough was a little worse, and she was REALLY grumpy still. After second guessing myself a million times I decided that before I went up to Bear Lake to meet up with Jason, I should take her into see the doctor, because I wondered if she had an ear infection (she wouldn't fully latch onto her bottles)
When I took her in, the nurse couldn't believe how congested she sounded! Poor baby! The doctor listened to her lungs, and did an evaluation and gave me the sad news. She has an ear infection, and RSV. :( I feel so bad for her! He warned me it would get worse before it gets better, and to watch her VERY closely. He almost gave me a nebulizer but decided to have me come in right away (or go to the ER) if I felt I needed it. Boy was he right, today she was much worse. It's so sad to see her so sick. Her cough sounds horrible, and sometimes she coughs so hard she throws up. And it's so sad to hear her wheezing! She is such a trooper though. Even though you can tell she doesn't feel very well, she still talks and smiles a lot. The best part - all of the cuddles I get :)
I heard through the grapevine that RSV has been going around the area like crazy right now, which is very unusual. Her doctor said the wheezing should last 7 days, and the cough 14 days. Wish us luck! I really don't want her to get any worse!

No comments: