Tuesday, December 31, 2013

After Christmas sickness drama!

     On Sunday Brooklyn came home from church and screamed (literally) for two hours. She had a very, very bad stomach ache. She couldn't stand up, and she definitely couldn't walk. I took her temperature and it was 102! Every time I asked her where it hurt she would point to her belly button, and down to the lower right side. That is right where the appendix are. I have had appendicitis before, and what she was doing had me very concerned. I looked online, and I read about a jump test. If they can jump up and down without crying, then it probably is not appendicitis. I had her stand up and jump. She couldn't do it. She just screamed in pain, and fell down.
      After thinking it over, we decided to take her to the ER because she had every symptom of appendicitis and it's better to be safe than sorry!
I wasn't impressed with the doctor there (of course, it's the ER!) He did a urine test, and found she had a UTI/Kidney infection. They gave her some fluids, and an IV with an antibiotic. That sounded OK, but I just didn't think that was it. 
      She spent the next day on the couch with a 102/103 fever, and stomach ache, and she wouldn't eat or drink anything. We took her to her pediatrician who looked at the results and said that she didn't have a UTI or a kidney infection. He redid the test, and sure enough, nothing. He spent a few minutes examining her and trying to figure out where her fever was coming from. He said the symptoms match appendicitis, but he wasn't so sure that's what it was. (Remember the jump test? She passed it this time!)
      Long story short, He determined her lymph nodes in her stomach were enflamed. (I didn't even know there were lymph nodes in your stomach!) It turns out after a small child has the stomach flu, it isn't unheard of for the lymph nodes in the stomach to cause problems. They are located in the exact same spot as the appendix, and cause the EXACT same symptoms. Weird right?
Thankfully, everything seems to be OK now. Her fever has changed to a low grade one, and she's up and playing today. 
Here's to a happy, HEALTHY new year!!!

This little girl was diagnosed with a sinus infection!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Aww poor girl! ER visits are the worst especially when it's a kid. Hope she's feeling better soon!