Friday, June 15, 2012

Introducing Olivia!

Someday I'll post the whole birth story. But for now, I was induced for high blood pressure at 37 weeks, 6 days. I somehow managed to do the whole thing without an epidural. (some most people think I'm crazy) I was in labor for 7 hours, the last 45 minutes I went from being dilated from a 5 to a 10. I eventually thought I was going to die. (Ask Jason, I kept reminding him) After accidently pushing for 10 seconds she was born, about 45 seconds before the doctor arrived.  So the nurse had to catch her. She was PERFECT, and of course we loved her instantly! She was making some grunting noises, and we weren't sure what they were. The nurse stayed with her in the nursery and watched her. Her chest started retracting, and eventually her oxygen level dropped into the 70's, so they admitted her into the NICU about 3 hours after she was born. That's something NO parent wants to hear about their baby. That morning we went down to see her, and she was on oxygen, and we were able to hold her. She had a chest x-ray done, that the doctor said looked horrible. She was also coughing/drooling bright red blood. Her respiratory rate was in the 140's (they want it between 30 and 60) and she was obviously really sick. Eventually they moved her to a cannula, and then today we went down and she had a CPAP on, because she needed a little more help to keep her lungs open. The CPAP seemed to really help her today, so even though it was kind of a step down, we're hoping it helps her lungs to heal. She LOVES to be held, especially by Mom and Dad. (I'm not sure who loves it more, us or her) She's the SWEETEST little baby, and we love her so much. Sometimes it's more than my post partum/Mommy feelings can handle and I can't help but cry that my baby is so sick.
Olivia has a lot of people praying for her, and we are confident that she will recover.

These pictures are reversed.
I don't have a picture of her with the CPAP on. 
It is SO sad to see her with it on :(









No comments: