Thursday, April 19, 2012

Brooklyn's surgery

You know how you always hear that anesthesia is usually very safe, and serious complications are rare? Today Brooklyn developed one of those serious complications, and I'm trying not to be traumatized.

She had her surgery at McKay-Dee hospital in Ogden. Before the procedure we met with the doctor, and then the anesthesiologist. He explained since they were doing adenoids instead of just ear tubes, the anesthesia would be a little more involved than the last time she had surgery. She would need to be intubated so she could breathe, and she would also get an IV. He assured me complications from it were very rare, and since she was healthy he didn't see any reason there would be a problem. Then without warning he just picked her up and carried her off. My Mommy heart was sad that I didn't even get to kiss her goodbye.

30 minutes later the doctor came out and told me that everything went great. She definitely had enlarged adenoids, so removing them should take care of the problems we were concerned about. Also her ear tubes went in great. He assured me they should be out to get me in 15-20 minutes after she wakes up. 30 minutes later, nobody had come to get me yet. I was starting to feel like something must be wrong. 5 minutes later I could hear her screaming at the top of her lungs. But still, nobody came to get me. She was yelling, "SNUGGLE!!!" (she wanted her blanket) I am sure I had real tears in my eyes at that point because I just wanted to help her.
Finally a nurse called me back to be with her. She informed me that when they were waking her up, they had complications, and she needed a breathing treatment, but was doing much better.

When we were settled into our post op area, the anesthesiologist came and expounded on what the nurse had told me. When they pulled the breathing tube out, she had what's called a laryngospasm. Basically, there was a spasm of her vocal cords, which caused her airway to close off completely. They realized she wasn't breathing at all, and luckily, were able to re-intubate her so she was able to get oxygen. Apparently this is one of the "life threatening side effects" that can happen with anesthesia. It's very rare, but it's more common in small children, and if left untreated a small child can go into cardiac arrest in as little as 45 seconds. Apparently it's not uncommon that they aren't able to get the tube back in, and there's not much they can do to get you breathing again. You can imagine what I thought of that! AHH!!
He told me when they got her breathing again, she was extremely wheezy, so they gave her a breathing treatment. She pulled through OK after that. All things a Mommy does NOT want to hear about her sweet two year old! I haven't been able to stop thinking about it all day. 

We have had a day of snuggling, which I love! :) She has enjoyed a diet of popsicles, pudding, ice cream, and jello. Hopefully she'll be back to her happy, playful self in no time! 



Trying to resume her daily activities



2 comments:

The Nelson Family said...

That is so scary!!! I'm glad that she is ok. I hope you guts never have to go through something like that again!

Jake ♥ Kenzie said...

My goodness what a scary thing to go through for both you and Brooklyn! Glad to hear she's okay now.